With our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) compliance features, you can collect candidate demographics with self-identification questions.
Most US employers are required to collect EEO data under EEO laws. While we provide features to help you with configuring EEO compliance in your account, the ultimate responsibility lies with you.
Even if you are not required to collect EEO data, you can use these features to measure diversity and inclusion efforts in your hiring process.
Note: Please keep in mind that we strongly recommend consulting with a lawyer before using these features to make sure that you are fully compliant with the laws and regulations that apply to your company.
Enabling EEO compliance
Enable EEO compliance on a company level first. Afterward, you can enable it for each job that you would like to collect EEO data for.
Note: You must have the permission High-level data access enabled to edit EEO settings.
On a company level
1. Go to Settings > Company settings > EEO and toggle the switch next to Enable EEO compliance.
2. Select if you are a federal contractor or subcontractor or not. This determines the set of EEO self-identification questions that will be sent to your candidates.
EEO self-identification questions for federal contractors or subcontractors include questions on gender, race or ethnicity, veteran status, and disability status.
EEO self-identification questions for non-federal contractors or subcontractors include questions on gender, race or ethnicity, and veteran status.
Note: You can update this status via Settings > Company settings > EEO under Company status.
3. EEO compliance is now enabled for your company account.
Once you enable EEO compliance for your jobs, candidates can answer EEO self-identification questions in the following ways:
Self-identification questions received via
Applied via careers site 2.0
Applied via careers site 1.0, Apply with Indeed/ Indeed EasyApply, Apply with LinkedIn, or a custom integration built using our public API
EEO data collection email - sent automatically, 24 hours after the application
Sourced, referred, added via email, or added manually
EEO data collection email - has to be sent manually
Self-identification questions in the application form of the Careers site 2.0 look like this:
Candidates receiving the EEO data collection email will see the following:
Candidates in jobs with EEO compliance enabled will get an EEO status for these jobs based on whether they have received or answered the EEO questions. Learn more about candidates’ EEO statuses and how to send self-identification questions manually.
EEO data collection email
The EEO data collection email is sent to candidates that have applied via careers site 1.0, Indeed, Linkedin, or a custom integration built using our public API. It can also be sent manually to candidates that were sourced, referred, or added manually. Click Edit to customize the email template.
EEO report data retention period
Define how long you want to keep candidate EEO data in the EEO report after a candidate is removed from your database to assure the report is complete. If you set the retention period to 0, deleting the candidate will also remove their EEO data, for example, if you need to comply with the GDPR.
Click Export to CSV to download the EEO report in CSV format. Learn more about EEO reporting.
Enable EEO compliance for individual jobs to start collecting candidate demographics with self-identification questions.
1. Go to the Jobs section and click Edit next to the job you would like to enable EEO compliance for.
2. On the left, go to Application form.
3. Scroll down and toggle the switch next to EEO compliance.
4. Select an EEO category and click Save in the top-right.
Managing EEO compliance
Enable or disable EEO compliance for several jobs at once.
1. In the Jobs section, make sure you are using the table layout.
2. Select the jobs you would like to enable EEO compliance for by clicking the checkmark next to them.
3. Click More in the menu bar and select Manage EEO compliance.
4. Select if you want to enable or disable EEO compliance for the selected jobs.
Select an EEO category and click Enable for jobs
Click Enable for X jobs to confirm that you would like to enable EEO compliance for the selected jobs.
Click Disable for X jobs to confirm that you would like to disable EEO compliance for the selected jobs.